Every birth is different, even if you have several children. There are different ways to give birth. To help you understand them more clearly and prepare yourself for the big day, here is an overview of the different possible methods.
- Let's start with natural vaginal delivery. This is the most common and easiest way to give birth. Labor is carried out alone, without medical assistance, and takes place in 4 main stages: the first moderate contractions allow the dilation of the cervix to begin. As the contractions intensify, the cervix finishes its work of opening and eventually subsides. Then comes the expulsion of the baby and delivery.
- If everything does not start as planned, the delivery can be induced. This is the case, for example, when labor does not start on its own once full term is reached, or when there is a particular problem. Midwives then use tablets, gel, or an infusion to trigger the first contractions. Often dreaded, induced labor is particularly well supported and the epidural is given systematically to ease labor.
- Delivery by cesarean section can also be considered. Multiple pregnancies, the bad position of the baby, contraindications for a vaginal delivery... Sometimes childbirth requires surgery. Performed under epidural or general anesthesia, a cesarean section ensures the safety of the child and the mother. Nowadays, a C-section is perfectly controlled and does not prohibit a vaginal delivery for subsequent pregnancies.
- Another decisive element in the delivery process is pain management. Here, again, each woman can choose between giving birth to her baby with alternative pain management or taking an epidural. As contraindications are rare, most deliveries can be accompanied by an epidural allowing the mother to welcome her baby at ease.
- In addition to all these methods, there are also what we call special deliveries. If everything is well with the pregnancy, it's possible to personalize your baby's birth to keep an even more unforgettable memory - you can give birth in the water, at home, under hypnosis, or with the help of acupuncture. Of course, everything is to be discussed with your medical team so that it all goes smoothly.
Now it's up to you to choose the birth of your dreams!