Mixed breastfeeding and weaning: how to proceed to this step gently?
While the WHO recommends exclusive breastfeeding for up to six months, some moms stop breastfeeding at two months when they go back to work. How do you go about weaning gently?
- First and foremost, the ideal time to wean is the one that is most convenient for you.
- For the baby's well-being and mom's comfort, a mixed feeding can then be introduced gradually.
- You can express your milk and give it in a bottle or choose a brand of formula milk.
- To get the baby used to infant milk, start by replacing one afternoon feed with a bottle for four days.
- For the next four days, replace two feeds with two bottles, then three feeds with three bottles for the next four days.
- It's best to keep the morning and evening feeds when you produce the most milk and share bonding time with your baby.